1. Carol Schmidt (cajoschmidt@yahoo.com)

    I think it’s to turn things over while in the oven.

  2. FYI for future reference, Cooks Illustrated has a monthly feature in the magazine where people send in photos of gadgets and they explain what the gadgest are. You can reach them at: cooks@americastestkitchen.com.

  3. So Tina, what’s your guess? I know you could think of some creative use for this device!

  4. Anonymous

    I think it is to be used to press down the pie dough in a pie pan. The handle would “crimp” the crust as you turned the pan. It could also be used to tamp down the dough in tart pans as long as they are round and not the fluted ones.

    After looking at a while, though I really think it is a tamp for espresso machines (pre the pre-packaged grounds).

  5. Anonymous

    also, if it is “just” a metal such as alumnium it would make sense that it was for espresso. If it is older such as pewter, pies would make sense.

  6. Anonymous

    I actually think I have seen them in espresso shops. The hole in the handle allowed it to be tied to the apron.


  7. Flip the sucker over, screw it to a chair and you find the very perfect coffee cup holder stand thinger.

    Makes any chair a perfect chair.

    Hmmm…makes me want to drink a latte.

  8. I think its a country veterinarian’s tongue depressor. You’d need weight to keep a cow’s tongue down, and a string to pull it out if they decided to eat it.


  9. It is some kind of press and it’s not that old – it looks like a commercial (restaurant) espresso tamper – as it looks relatively new, seems to be silver-plated (better for display purposes) and as you’ve said it’s heavy.

    Initially I thought it was used to make sausage patties 🙂 but it looks too new for that.

    Fun blog – love your vintage items.


  10. Thanks to all who submitted your ideas. Don’t know if we figured this out, but it was fun! Will let you know shortly who won.

Comments are closed.